Maybe you have had one of those days where you come home (or you've never left home) and
need want a stiff drink. Or maybe you just want something you can sip as you sit and chat with good friends. This is your drink. It is as tasty as it is STRONG. Ina does not mess around. Maybe this is why she has so many friends and they all look so jovial on her show. They've been drinking Pomegranate Cosmopolitans. I knew it couldn't be that they all just loved living in the Hamptons that much.
In all seriousness, this drink is delicious, and you can always adjust the alcohol content to suit your tastes. We used Ocean Spray 100% Juice Cranberry Juice, which is not as sweet as it's HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) counterpart, but it just made the drink a little more tart than it would otherwise have. But really, the star of the show here is the vodka, so don't skimp out on a cheap (or worse, distilled) brand. Get the good stuff. You're worth it. And this wouldn't be as stiff or tasty without it.
- 2 cups good vodka (Ina recommends: Grey Goose or Finlandia)
- 1 cup orange liqueur (Ina recommends: Cointreau, but we used Grand Marnier)
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail, (recommended: Ocean Spray)
- 1/2 cup bottled pomegranate juice (recommended: Pom Wonderful)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 limes)
- Thinly sliced limes, for garnish
Combine the vodka, orange liqueur, cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, and lime juice in a large pitcher. Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice, pour the cocktail mixture in, and shake for a full 30 seconds. Pour into martini glasses, garnish with a slice of lime, and serve immediately.
Source: Ina Garten's Back to Basics Cookbook