Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

The little black dress for your salad.

I don't know about you, but for me, a good salad dressing can actually make you crave salads. Trader Joe's Asian Style Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette does that for me. It's the perfect combination of sweet and spicy, and I could eat it pretty much every day. But it's not for everyone. I get that.

But the dressing I made last night I think could be. It's listed on allrecipes.com as "Absolutely Fabulous Greek/House Dressing" and I have to agree that it is pretty fabulous. Not only is it tasty, but it uses simple ingredients and was ready in under five minutes. I followed the advice of other reviewers and used equal amounts of oil and vinegar, which was a good adjustment as I think the vinegar would have really overpowered it. I also emulsified the oil, vinegar, and mustard using my immersion blender and it did so well that there is still no separation, even after hanging out on the counter all night.

We fixed just your basic green salad last night, but I think this would be amazing on a Greek salad, or even on a pasta salad. I also scaled it down to five servings as just three people were going to eat it. The recipe (with my adjustments and scaled to 10 servings because five just wasn't enough) is below. Enjoy!! It's lunch time and I think I just might have another salad.

 Absolutely Fabulous Greek/House Dressing

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
In a bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, onion powder, and Dijon-style mustard. Pour in the vinegar, and mix vigorously until well blended. Store tightly covered at room temperature.


OR: Mix with blender or immersion blender only the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and mustard to create an emulsion. Add it the remaining ingredients and pulse 2-3 times, just to incorporate. Store tightly covered at room temperature.


Source: allrecipes.com

1 comment: