Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Paula's Black Bean and Corn Salsa


Let me start by saying this recipe is SO good. I mean really good. Fresh, a little smoky (thanks to the cumin) and a perfect choice to bring to a potluck, game, or a "bring a dish to share" event. But if you want to make it and hoard it all to yourself, I won't judge you. Not even a little. The original recipe is called "Spicy Black Bean and Corn Salsa", but it's a misnomer as this salsa is not spicy at all. I have therefore renamed it "Paula's Black Bean and Corn Salsa" as it was my friend Paula who introduced me to it. And every time I make it or eat it, I think of her.

This recipe comes from the Colorado Collage cookbook, which is a collection of recipes from the Junior League of Denver and one amazing cookbook. I've made and/or tasted probably 10 or more recipes from it and all of them have been delicious. That's a pretty good track record, I think, so you'll be seeing more from this cookbook for sure. But if you can't wait that long, this is one cookbook that I would wholeheartedly endorse buying for yourself. It's that good. Try this salsa. You'll see.

Black Bean and Corn Salsa 
 Makes 4 - 6 cups

16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
16 oz corn, fresh or frozen and defrosted
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes

Combine all ingredients except the tomatoes. Cover and chill at least 2 hours, or overnight.
Just before serving, chop the tomatoes and fold into the corn and bean mixture. Adjust seasoning as needed, and serve with tortilla chips. 
 Source: Colorado Collage

1 comment: