Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kentucky Derby Pie

Most foodies love any opportunity to make a themed recipe. I happen to fall into this camp. But while most good food bloggers prepare in advance to share these recipes before said-themed events, I am not quite there yet.

Take this pie for example: The Kentucky Derby has come and gone already for 2011, and while I considered putting this post in the archive and publishing it prior to Derby weekend next year, I couldn't bring myself to do it. This pie should not be confined to a single, solitary weekend each year. If you've tried Derby pie before, I would imagine you would agree with me. If you have never tried it before, you are the reason I'm sharing this recipe now rather than waiting until 2012.

What makes it so good? It tastes a bit like a chocolate chip pecan cookie poured into a pie crust. Yum.

It is also delicious warm with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream. Yum again.

My good friend Jo actually made the pie pictured above and is who first introduced us to the Derby pie. We owe her big time. ;) Stay tuned for another better-late-than-never Derby post soon!

Kentucky Derby Pie
Yield: 1 pie
Ingredients:
  • 1 c. sugar
  • ½ c. flour
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • ½ c. salted butter, melted & cooled
  • 1 c. broken pecans
  • 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ¼ c. Kentucky Bourbon (optional)
  • 1 Pie Crust
Mix sugar and flour together. Add the eggs and remaining ingredients. Pour into crust. Bake at 350° for about 1 hour.

Source: Jo

2 comments:

  1. Derby Pie was by far the best thing about living in Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the one with bourbon in it slightly better than this one. They were both very good though.

    ReplyDelete